Re: Directory of Archives

From: Stevan Harnad <>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:43:01 +0000

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Don Gilbert wrote:

> We are adapting Eprints to archive and serve bioinformatics
> software for the biology community. This is still in
> development, but open to public use now:
> IUBio Archive of Biology Software and Data
> (Eprints for bio-soft)
> (this redirects for now to
> We also are thinking of using Eprints to maintain science
> literature for the FlyBase Drosophila genome database
> (
> Don Gilbert IUBio archivist
> Biology Dept., Indiana University Bloomington, IN 47405

Many thanks for the notification. has already
listed the IUBio Archive of Biology Software and Data -- as well as IU's Digital
Library of the Commons -- at:

The forthcoming flybase Archive at IU is also very good news.

Setting up the Archives is the easy part, however! The real
challenge is devising an IU policy for filling them!

The IU Archives seem to be doing well in that regard too, but I have a
question: Are these Archives for IU Research output? Or are they
Archives for output for any institution? Both are of course welcome and
useful, but it is the former -- a concerted policy for self-archiving
the university's own research output -- that is the most urgently needed
today. For that policy -- mirrored reciprocally in all universities
and research institutions planet-wide -- will be what ushers in the
open-access era for us all!

the American Scientist September Forum (98 & 99 & 00 & 01 & 02):

Discussion can be posted to:

See also the Budapest Open Access Initiative:

the Free Online Scholarship Movement:

the OAI site:

and the free OAI institutional archiving software site: