Re: Paris Open Access Seminar Announcement

From: ept <ept_at_BIOSTRAT.DEMON.CO.UK>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:23:24 +0000

The OA Seminar was a further step along the road and the audience seemed
in tune with the movement (and even broke into spontaneous applause a
couple of times). Although there is still some misunderstanding, and a
number of the contributions seemed a bit remote from OA, it was indeed
very encouraging to hear the concluding statements of the Directors
General of CNRS and INSERM.

Pariticipation was in no way 'international'. There were two
representatives from the developing world.... However, the seminar was
designed to be 'European', so perhaps this was not surprising. As the
President-elect of IFLA (Kay Raseroka) from Botswana said in her
introduction to the developing country session, it is essential to ask
researchers in the developing world for their opinion. And since she
described the potential benefits of OA for DC science as 'fantastic',
perhaps the OA proponants should be seeking to enroll DC researchers as
the prime movers and shakers. They have most to gain. The developing
country session allowed each of five people a 5 minute slot, followed by
a discussion period. As a componant of a two day programme this did not
seem to me to be 'very large', but I think the problems and OA-linked
benefits are not always apparent to the 'developed' academic community
and it was good to have the opportunity to bring these to the attention
of an interested group of Europeans.

This seminar was designed to feed into the UNESCO-organised meeting in
March, Paris, at which a far greater number of participants will be from
the developing world.http://www.codata.org/03march/03march-intlsymp.htm

Barbara Kirsop
www.epublishingtrust.org