Re: Peer review under scrutiny from Royal Society

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 19:28:40 +0000

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Eberhard R. Hilf wrote:

> Clearly, each paper on the web should have a note (metadata) on the
> status and level of quality filters it passed.

How about "Journal-Name" as the crucial metadatum? That, after all, is
the literature we are trying to free! The project of improving it is a
different one:

    Peer Review Reform Hypothesis-Testing
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0479.html

    A Note of Caution About "Reforming the System"
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/1169.html

(I am, by the way, part of this Royal Society Working Party on Peer
Review, chaired by Professor Sir Brian Heap, Vice President of the Royal
Society, although my schedule hasn't yet allowed me to attend any of
the meetings so far!)

Stevan