Re: Self-Archiving Refereed Research vs. Self-Publishing Unrefereed Research

From: Hugo Fjelsted Alrĝe <Hugo.Alroe_at_agrsci.dk>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 19:40:19 +0000

Arthur P. Smith wrote:

> Andrew Odlyzko mentions an interesting phenomenon that has arisen
> quality - the "authority site". You could think of these as another
> level of "peer review", although they tend to be run by just a single
> individual (and consequently somewhat narrowly focused - but that's
> not that different from a highly specialized journal). Should we be
> moving to fund this sort of thing as a replacement for peer review, or
> in addition? Is there some way these should be formalized and included
> within the recognized knowledge infrastructure of our fields? How do
> you ensure the trust-worthiness of those responsible for these efforts
> (and how exactly is that different from trusting peer review at a regular
> journal?) What aspects of the current information infrastructure for
> scholarly communication help, or hinder, the work of the people creating
> these sites?

Another example of a development to make better science, which can be seen
as complementary to peer review, is the Cochran Library
<http://www.update-software.com/Cochrane/> in medicine. This is a group of
experts who evaluate (mainly) treatment efficiencies by meta-analyses of a
number of published trials. The conclusions sometimes go against what drug
companies would tell you.

Such efforts are independent of the journal peer review system.

regards
Hugo Alroe