Re: ePrint Repositories

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:19:46 +0000

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, [identity deleted] wrote:

> Doubtless, I have missed the point(s) but perhaps you may wish to clarify -
> or refer me to your other contributions!
>
> 2a) Preservation surely remains a valid concern. It cannot be adequate to
> discount the relevance of digital preservation from a programme which may
> tend to discourage the production of hard copy. Of course, open access
> should, and must, be pursued but potential incidental impacts cannot be
> ignored.

My point, in its briefest from, is that digital preservation (for the
entire digital corpus) is a *parallel* concern, along with open-access
to the refereed-research subset of that corpus. There is no serial
contingency, or conditionality between the two. Nothing to justify
anything along the lines of: "But before we can have open online access,
we must solve the digital preservation problem!"

Open, online access to the refereed research literature is attainable
now (today, yesterday) through author/institution self-archiving, and it
is a *supplement* to, not a *substitute for* toll-access (on-line or
on-paper). It is the toll-access literature that has the preservation
problem. Open-access to it is an extra, an author/institution-provided
a freebie, not to be burdened with any extra concerns about preservation!
http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/#1.Preservation

> 2b) Are you implying there is some problem with university 'publication'
> online? Can you clarify why you think it 'wacky'?

No problem with university publication. No problem with online
publication. And no problem with university online publication.
But absolutely irrelevant to the question of open-access to the
refereed-research literature, which is not published by the researcher's
(or user's) *own* university but by whichever journal actually publishes
it. The wacky idea is to try to combine (1) the solution to the university's
*access" problem -- which is about access to the research output of
*other* universities (quality-controlled and certified by an independent
3rd party called a refereed journal) -- with (2) the solution to an
entirely different problem ("How can I increase university revenues
through electronic publication?").

This is as much of a non-sequitur as agonizing over the preservation
problem instead of immediately self-archiving: it's conflating the
research-access problem with other university revenue and expenditure
problems (and schemes for their solution).

> 2c) If institutions make their own corpus of material available on the web
> in a common format with common indexing, then does not this constitute the
> potential for hard-copy substitution? Are you saying that, because the peer
> review function has to be external to the institution, electronic
> self-publication cannot replace the 'journal', something which is surely
> only a construct defined as a collection of peer-reviewed multi-sourced
> articles? Is not your thesis that the cost of peer review administration
> can be covered precisely by the savings in serials budgets?

Yes I am saying that because peer-review *must* be administered and
certified by an independent 3rd party, universities are barking up the
wrong tree if they are imagining doing it for their own research output,
in-house. That is vanity-press publication, and is useless as a
quality-certifier and guide.

Online refereed journal publishing will eventually reduce to
peer-review implementation and certification. That is what is left of
refereed-research "publication" in the online age. The rest is about
*access*, which is the archiving and distribution of the peer-reviewed
(hence "published") digital document. That can and will be accomplished,
eventually, by the distributed, interoperable university Eprint Archive
networks. But that is all still far away. What is immediately reachable
is open access, and that can be attained immediately by self-archiving,
with no worries about digital preservation and no linkage to university
electronic publishing plans.
http://www.nature.com/nature/debates/e-access/Articles/harnad.html#B1

Stevan Harnad