Re: Query about journal (not author) self-citation rates

From: Fytton Rowland <J.F.Rowland_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:29:36 -0000

As an author, I have published in quite a variety of journals in my time.
Earlier in my career, I was an editorial staff member at a learned-society
publisher. In neither case have I ever been aware of any pressure on authors
to cite references in the same journal. As a referee, I have never suggested
adding extra references for this reason, though I have for other reasons.

This is all anecdotal, but I feel that this may be a non-problem. I might
be over-optimistic - maybe I have only ever had connections with the more
scrupulous end of the journals market.

Fytton Rowland, Loughborough University, UK.