Re: Open Archives and UK Institutions: An Overview

From: Lars Aronsson <lars_at_aronsson.se>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 01:32:59 +0100 (CET)

Stevan Harnad quoted Stephen Pinfield's article in D-Lib Magazine:

> management policies are relatively straightforward; populating the
> repository is not. The content of institutional repositories needs to
> come largely from researchers within the institution, and persuading
> them to submit this content is a major challenge.
> [...]
> activities have the potential to make a real difference to the
> scholarly communication process and therefore bring enormous benefits
> to the scholarly community."

Is any university appointing new professors or teachers based on
contributions to open archives or open e-journals only, simply
ignoring any printed or non-open works, yet?

If I contribute an article to an open archive or e-journal, can I set
a license (GNU GPL or Creative Commons style) that effectively
prohibits its results from being quoted or used in non-open archives?
(I guess not.)

Is anybody teaching courses only using openly available papers?

Is anybody doing research into the questions above?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars_at_aronsson.se)
  Aronsson Datateknik - http://aronsson.se/