Re: Interoperability - subject classification/terminology

From: Claus Schroeter <schroeter_at_chemie.de>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 13:16:26 +0100 (CET)

Hi OAIers,

I agree with hussein so far. Building taxonomies is a lot of
effort. Just for inspiration I'd like to tell what we're doing at this
point:

We created a specialized Search engine that is not only fulltext boolean
based but also enables users to go deeper in thematic fields. We do this
by trainable classifiers that are able to learn which field is discussed
in a text. We're not using the OAI classifications since the underlying
taxonomy varies from archive to archive and we have also material from the
web that is not categorized.

The basic idea behind this system is to enable users to explore
fields of knowledge just by selecting the fields of interest. As a
positive side effect the taxonomy of this system is free configurable so
you may configure a taxonomy for physics, one for chemistry or whatever.
All taxonomies use the same texts in background.

Spoken in technical terms the taxonomy binding of a text is not fixed.
Perhaps it could be a good idea to implement this loose binding for OAI so
taxonomy bindings can be used as an exchangeable schema for archive
providers.

If you're interested please feel free to take a look at:

http://findemaschine.pro-physik.de/?language=e

Try for example the category ->Physics/Astrophysics and use the "further
restrictions" selector to restrict on ->Physics/History of Physics or
->Physics/Geophysics. You will see that the ranking will switch to
exactly the subtopic of interest.

Just my 0.3 cent...
Best Regards from Berlin
Claus
Chemie.DE Information Service GmbH http://www.chemie.de/
Seydelstr. 28 mailto:schroeter_at_chemie.de
D-10117 Berlin Tel +49 (0)30 204 568 - 0
                                            Fax +49 (0)30 204 568 - 70