Re: Graphic needed to illustrate the effect of access on impact

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 19:07:33 +0100 (BST)

Many thanks to Andrew Odlyzko for pointing out the valuable NASA study on
the relation between usage impact and citation impact in astrophysics
at http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~kurtz/jasist-submitted.ps
(converted to PDF at http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/astro-jasist.pdf).

This very rich and informative NASA/ADS study confirms what Tim
Brody has also been finding in our analyses of the Physics Arxiv:
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/time-course.gif
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/usage-citation.gif
and his citation and co-citation analyses with citebase:
http://citebase.eprints.org/cgi-bin/search

See especially Tim Brody's correlator at:
http://citebase.eprints.org/analysis/correlation.php

Tim is now working on making this into a variable time-window
correlator, so he can look at correlations in relation to time
at different latencies. We are studying the systematic relationship
between usage and citations, across time. We are also making
Steve-Lawrence-like controlled comparisons with usage/citation patterns
for comparable (1) toll-access paper-only or paper+online
articles versus (2) self-archived open-access articles
http://www.neci.nec.com/~lawrence/papers/online-nature01/ in order to
demonstrate graphically to all researchers in all disciplines the strong
causal relationship that exists between research access and research
impact, and how and why delay in self-archiving is losing them all
substantial quantities of research impact daily:
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/self-archiving.ppt

Stevan Harnad