Re: THES article on research access Friday June 6 2003

From: Stevan Harnad <>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 13:19:33 +0100

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, [identity removed] wrote:

> You mention in your recent post and THES article that
>> "For the citation counts of papers whose full texts are already
>> freely accessible on the web are more than 300 per cent higher than
>> those that are not."
> Do you have a citation for that that you can point me at?

Lawrence, S. (2001a) Online or Invisible? Nature 411 (6837): 521.

Lawrence, S. (2001b) Free online availability substantially increases a
paper's impact. Nature Web Debates.

See also:
Kurtz, Michael J.; Eichhorn, Guenther; Accomazzi, Alberto; Grant,
Carolyn S.; Demleitner, Markus; Murray, Stephen S.; Martimbeau,
Nathalie; Elwell, Barbara. (submitted) The NASA Astrophysics Data
System: Sociology, Bibliometrics, and Impact.

and the work of Andrew Odlyzko:

and Tim Brody's remarkable impact correlation generator, which
can predict later citation impact from earlier usage (download)
impact using variable time-windows and ranges for the Physics
ArXiv (you need the latest java to be able to use it) at:

Finally, see:

Stevan Harnad