Re: How to compare research impact of toll- vs. open-access research

From: Sally Morris <sec-gen_at_alpsp.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:04:21 +0100

It is important to point out that Steve Lawrence's article, despite its
title, does not (and indeed, could not) distinguish between articles which
are freely available and those for which a fee has been paid. All it
measures is the increase in rate of citation if the articles are accessible
online to the citer. We recently checked this with the author himself.

Of course, this means that there is a feedback loop from the 'Big Deals'
which the largest publishers are able to provide to libraries and consortia.
Availability means more citations, more citations means increased
attractiveness both to authors and to cash-strapped libraries.

Sally

Sally Morris, Secretary-General
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK

Phone: 01903 871686 Fax: 01903 871457 E-mail: sec-gen_at_alpsp.org
ALPSP Website http://www.alpsp.org