Re: The True Cost of the Essentials (Implementing Peer Review)

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:05:55 +0100

I'm not sure what 'fair' means, but David seems to be somewhat defeatist
here. There has been a switch in thinking away from the role of the serials
crisis in motivating open access and instead focussing on author-centric
motivations like impact and assessment. But for those who are concerned
about the serials crisis an interesting study would be a McCabe-like
analysis of the following:

IF the entire peer reviewed literature was openly accessible from
institutional archives, what would be the effect on journal prices and
(arguable) publisher monopolies?

It would not be the same answer as McCabe gives now. Nor would it be the
same if 'open access journals' were to be substituted for 'institutional
archives' in the scenario, for although the journal prices would reduce to
zero, fears have begun to surface elsewhere about new publisher monopolies
that would result.

I don't want to speculate on journal prices, but my guess is that some of
the market drivers that McCabe reveals would be affected and price pressure
could be reversed, most obviously by increased competition.

The result might have an interesting effect on decision-makers in
institutions, if not on authors.

Steve Hitchcock
IAM Group, Department of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3256 Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865