Re: EPrints, DSpace or ESpace?

From: Maurizio Grilli <maurigrilli_at_LIBERO.IT>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 03:07:57 -0400

I'm doing a Mastes Degree in Library and Information Science at the
Cologne Technical University (Fachhochschule Koeln). I'm writing a thesis
about non-commercial publication models of scholastic writings. Your
distinction between pre- and postprint and the definition of eprints as
all of them is clear. However, I think that they also differ from each
other not only because one is refereed and the others are not( yet), but
because the preprints could never be accepted by the referees and
therefore be "notprints". What I find very important and even more
essential is your distinction between RES and PRES, but I think that there
is some inconsistancy in saying that preprints are not publications and
try then to apply peer review (something typical for publication) to them.
In my opinion it would be better to make no distinction in scholastic
writings. Preprints and postprints should be put together without thinking
of peer reviews. They could be distinguished at the research output
through ranking, depending of whether the autor is member of a University,
or the eventual publication. Peer reviews should then be used in other
contexts, like a publication platform at a University server.

Thank you and Regards
Maurizio Grilli