Re: Third World Academy of Sciences and open access

From: Peter Suber <peters_at_EARLHAM.EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:40:11 -0400

At 01:25 PM 10/1/2003 +0100, Barbara Kirsop wrote:

> Thanks, Arun, for your paper and letter to TWAS. Does anyone know what
>liklihood there is of OA being raised at the forthcoming WSIS meeting?
>I am out of touch with UK discussions and proposals and although I
>proposed an OA resolution at a British Council meeting last year I am
>unsure if this has been taken up. Maybe colleagues you have written to
>could chase this with their national committees.
>
>Attached for your information is a recent position statement on OA from
>the Wellcome Trust. [See separate posting on "Wellcome Trust statement
>on open access" https://mx2.arl.org/Lists/SPARC-OAForum/ ]
>
>Barbara
>Electronic Publishing Trust for Development

Barbara,
      Yes, open access will come up at the WSIS. The WSIS Scientific
Information Working Group has been pushing for a good statement on open
access. But as you can imagine, there are many countervailing forces that
tend to dilute good statements. The working group chair, Francis Muguet,
is on the ground in Geneva doing an admirable job resisting these forces as
far as possible. (I'm on the steering committee for the working group but
have only participated electronically.) For more details, see the working
group page, <http://www.wsis-si.org/si-frame.html>.

      Peter

Peter Suber
Research Professor of Philosophy, Earlham College
Open Access Project Director, Public Knowledge
Author, SPARC Open Access Newsletter
Editor, Open Access News blog
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/
peter.suber_at_earlham.edu