Re: Scientific publishing is not just about administering peer-review

From: Rebecca Kennison <rkennison_at_PLOS.ORG>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:50:37 -0700

I'm not sure what you mean by "unusual publicity campaign" -- we send our press releases, written in-house, to journalists, a list anyone can compile, and to Eurekalert (which is a more science-oriented newswire), but whether the story is picked up or not is entirely up to the media. That our press releases generate a good deal of media converage is not because we do anything special, but because what we do resonates.