Re: Open Letter to Philip Campbell, Editor, Nature

From: Peter Suber <peters_at_earlham.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:02:02 +0000

Stevan,

I'm publishing a letter to the editor in _Nature_ and just got the
license to sign. I thought you'd like to see a copy (attached). It still
gives authors permission to post the work to their "own" web sites. But it
now contains a mini-FAQ explaining this:

>The licence says I may post the PDF on my "own" web site. What does "own"
>mean?
>
>It means a personal site, or portion of a site, either owned by you or at
>your institution (provided this
>institution is not-for-profit), devoted to you and your work. If in doubt,
>please contact
>permissions_at_nature.com.

This elaboration can easily be read to include the author's directory
within an institutional repository.

      FYI,
      Peter