Re: The Economics of Open Access Journal Publishing

From: Barry Mahon <barry.mahon_at_iol.ie>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 11:01:47 +0000

On 03/11/2003 14:12:48, Stevan Harnad wrote:

> Can I again suggest that, apart from our very reasonable interest in the
> economic viability -- short-term and long-term -- of open-access journal
> publishing, we not lose sight of our primary goal, which is *open
> access*!

Agreed, both with the remarks about economics and the sentiments... however,
economics, in my opinion, will influence OA, however defined.

Apropos, and also of my message recently about single article sales here is an
interesting item about a 'change of economics':

LEGAL DOWNLOADS OUTPACE CD PURCHASES

A new report from Billboard magazine shows that online music purchases
have surpassed sales of CD singles. According to the report, 7.7
million songs were purchased online since the end of June, compared
to 4 million CD singles. Some argued that these numbers are misleading
because relatively few songs are offered as singles on a disc, whereas
around 500,000 songs are available online from legal music services.

Several online music services are working to provide a legal alternative
to illegal file trading taking place over the Internet. Phil Quartararo
of EMI Music said, "Any way we can drive a consumer to purchase music
as opposed to taking music is a win for the industry." BBC, 3 November
2003 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3237021.stm