Re: The Green and Gold Roads to Open Access

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 01:25:52 +0000 (GMT)

That's right. The difference between the actual 7.5%% and the bottom-line
55% (i.e., those who could self-archive today already having the
journal's official blessing) is the minimum. In reality, though, much
closer to 100% could be self-archiving, leaving the gap between what is
immediately possible and what is actual even bigger. (And even for those
publishers who officially state that if their author self-archives,
they refuse to publish the paper, there is still a legal way for the
author to self-archive: http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/#copyright1 ).

It is for this reason that I have become convinced that the only thing
that will ensure that the research community takes advantage of the
open access that is within its reach is via a natural extension of the
very same policy that ensures that research is published at all, rather
than simply put in a desk drawer: Both research institutions and research
funders need to extend their existing "publish or perish" policies to
"publish with maximized impact" -- by making all research publications
open-access, via either the golden or green road, i.e., by publishing it in
a suitable open-access journal, if one exists, or otherwise by publishing it
in a suitable toll-access journal AND self-archiving it in the author's
own institutional open-access eprint archives.
http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue35/harnad/

In other words, by implementing the Berlin Declaration:
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/berlin.htm

Stevan Harnad