Re: Copyright: Form, Content, and Prepublication Incarnations

From: Leslie Carr <lac_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:20:43 +0000

On 18 Nov 2003, at 13:28, Stevan Harnad wrote:

> What is the actual percentage of withdrawals in the 12-year span of
> 250,000 papers self-archived in http://www.arxiv.org
> and what actually was the reason behind those withdrawals?

Below is a manual analysis of the 399 which depends on my interpretation.

I looked at everything that said "withdrawn" in the comments field to
see what reasons people were giving for removing articles.

    1 Embargo on data
    4 Administrative problem with archive usage
    8 Archivists suspect misdoing
  10 This is the Replacement of a withdrawn article
  18 Edited to withdraw some sections
  23 Plagiarism
  31 A New paper subsumes the results of this paper
  33 Temporarily Withdrawn (for fixing errors)
  37 This article is Corrected by another deposit
  70 Incorrect results or interpretation
164 Withdrawn without explanation

If you look at "Copyright" in the entries, there are 4 withdrawals and
one 'tweaking' to avoid copyright.

---
Les Carr