Re: The Special Case of Law Reviews

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:59:02 +0000

Dan Hunter may be "merely asking the California Law Review to become
'green', which is to formally support author self-archiving", but if
so perhaps it could be put more succinctly and more practically. As it
stands, there seem to be some obvious faults in the argument. First Dan
Hunter says

> In agreeing to publish with you I have not made any amendments to your
> standard form publishing contract which provides, inter alia, for an
> assignment of copyright in the articles to your journal.

Then later to the student editor

> Thanks to you, if people want access to my ideas then they
> can pay Westlaw or Lexis or Hein monopoly rents to get it.

Why blame the student? If the law professor doesn't get it, how can the
student be expected to?

Steve Hitchcock
IAM Group, School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3256 Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865