Re: CIC summit

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 03:15:44 +0000

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, John Unsworth wrote:

> I thought you'd be interested in this--a talk I gave earlier today to
> deans (of arts and sciences) and provosts from CIC/Big Ten
> universities, in Chicago.
>
> http://www.iath.virginia.edu/~jmu2m/CICsummit.htm

My old friend John Unsworth's proposals to the provosts are valuable
ones -- except for the conflation here and there between self-archiving
and self-publishing!

The goal is open access to peer-reviewed research articles. The way to
achieve that goal is not for universities to become their own peer-review
providers and publishers! That has to continue to be outsourced to
independent journals. The way to achieve open access is for universities
to become *open-access providers* for their own peer-reviewed research
article output (which continues to be published in those independent
journals) by self-archiving them:

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/self-archiving_files/Slide0022.gif

Stevan Harnad