Re: Written evidence for UK Select Committee's Inquiry into Scientific Publications

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 20:22:24 +0000

The comments below are addressed to the House of Commons Science and
Technology Committee's Inquiry into Scientific Publications, and are
intended to supplement earlier comments from Stevan Harnad by providing
a broader context that I hope makes clearer the connection between
e-publishing of journals and open access. The comments are based on a
copy of the press notice contained below, although I have so far been
unable to locate an official Web page with this notice.

The thrust of the committee's inquiry into scientific publications appears
to be towards examining the wider effects of e-publishing, with only part
of the inquiry focussing on the effects on prices and access to journals,
with a brief reference to open access journals.

The move to e-publishing of journals has largely been accomplished,
although it is well documented that this has not resolved all problems,
especially pricing problems, that were known to exist before e-publishing,
e.g. UK Office of Fair Trading, The market for scientific, technical
and medical journals, September 2002
http://www.oft.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/efvqwtvbz6bqcpm5vcfexjlnbl7ltb5anbnu7kuri
5bhmfwx34kjdjni4qgpivcokrjdmugt4l6ic4kbokoji6a7xgg/oft396.pdf
Economic Analysis of Scientific Research Publishing, commissioned by the
Wellcome Trust, September, 2003
http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/en/1/awtpubrepeas.html

The industry is now moving forward, and there is consensus among all
those concerned with delivery of journals - publishers, libraries, and
researchers - that the *principal* issue is how to achieve *open access*
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/writing/acrl.htm
For researchers, as users and producers of the scientific
literature, the case for open access in undeniable
http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue35/harnad/

So the inquiry could make a vital contribution, with a view to helping
and informing those responsible for directing and funding research,
if it shifted its focus on to this issue, which has a direct bearing
on the committee's first concern, access to research results by all who
need or want to see it.

There are two means by which the peer-reviewed journal literature can
be made open access: by authors archiving copies of their published
papers within their university electronic (eprint) archives; and by
publishers adopting a new business model and producing open access
journals. This is the context in which my colleague, Stevan Harnad,
makes his comments below.

The first approach, university eprint archiving, has the advantage
that it is relatively easy and cost-effective to implement, with
the result that many eprint archives are appearing around the world
http://opcit.eprints.org/explorearchives.shtml
with relatively little impact on the existing publishing model. Most
publishers would happily claim to add significant value to any paper
simply archived by its author. The second approach, open access journals,
is currently promising in selected cases, but is unproven for the large
majority of publishers and journals.

So, author eprint archiving effectively offers the opportunity to achieve
universal open access for published papers quickly and sustainably
without forcing journals to adopt a new business model, which would be
slow and disruptive, while allowing those journals that can sustain a
new business model to do so.

Although the committee will discover that many people are expending
great energy on resolving this issue, it has the opportunity to make a
big impact at the very highest levels if it takes on the challenge of
exploring all aspects of open access, including university archiving and
not just journal publishing. In the end it will be society as a whole
that will benefit from making the right strategic decisions based on
the fullest information.

Steve Hitchcock
IAM Group, School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3256 Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865