Re: Free Access vs. Open Access

From: Jan Velterop <jan_at_BIOMEDCENTRAL.COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:11:59 -0000

It would be helpful if self-archiving enthusiasts would see and present
self-archiving as an important step towards achieving open access at the
root of scholarly communication, by eventually having all peer-reviewed
research articles published with full open access from the outset. It is
fully acknowledged that publishing new open access journals is not likely to
change science publishing overnight (although the momentum is growing fast),
and self-archiving can potentially be a very important and effective
catalyst. For that, focus needs to be on commonalities rather than on
differences. To describe self-archiving and open access publishing as
somehow opposite solutions to the debilitating effects of toll-access to
both the optimal dissemination of research results and the (related) budget
crises in libraries, is not doing the movement any good. It should not be
"free VERSUS open", but "free AND open" or at the very least "free AS A MOVE
TOWARDS open".

Jan

http://www.messagelabs.com