Re: Draft Policy for Self-Archiving University Research Output

From: Subbiah Arunachalam <subbiah_a_at_YAHOO.COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 11:46:47 +0000

India, the sleeping giant, wakes up! The Indian
Institute of Science has an institutional archive for
well over a year now. It is run well although it had
not attracted many faculty and students to deposit
their papers. But steps are now promised to improve
thesituation. Other leading higher education
institutions, particularly the Indian Institutes of
Technology, are advised to set up their own
(interoperable) archives. last week, the Indian
Academy of Sciences held a one-day conference on open
access at the national Chemical Laboratory in Pune.
Soon the Academy plans to host a workshop for
providing training in setting up open archives and
open access journals.

India is likely to forge ahead in this area and other
developing countries (such as China and Brazil) may
not like to lag behind.

It is likely that the developing world may adopt open
access in a large way - faster than the developed
world.

Arun
[Subbiah Arunachalam]

Dear Prof. Rajashekar,