Re: Free Access vs. Open Access

From: Peter Suber <>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 13:55:50 +0000

At 02:13 PM 1/3/2004 +0000, Jan Velterop wrote:

>You're absolutely correct in your observation that our differences are
>minute, in the scheme of things. Nonetheless, I think I disagree with you
>that we have Open Access if just the price barrier is lifted.

      You have this part of my position reversed. On this point I was
agreeing with you that open access goes beyond lifting price barriers to
lifting permission barriers. For a fuller exposition of why I think
removing both kinds of access barrier is important, see

Peter Suber
Research Professor of Philosophy, Earlham College
Open Access Project Director, Public Knowledge
Author, SPARC Open Access Newsletter
Editor, Open Access News blog