Re: Archivangelism

From: Simon Tanner <simon.tanner_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:49:08 +0000

At 03:13 09/01/2004, you wrote:
>In a letter to the Times Higher Education Supplement today
>http://www.thesis.co.uk/current_edition/story.aspx?story_id=2009626
>Iain Stevenson of City University, London, wrote:
>
> > Despite the evangelism of Stevan Harnad and other enthusiasts for
> > "publisher-free" journals, the open-access model simply shifts the costs
> > of publication from the subscribing institution to authors. Both forms
> > of delivery can and do provide "free at the point of use" access for
> > individual readers.

Of course the amusing point is that as I am at home right now I try to
access the article with the link given and I get this message:
WELCOME TO THE THES WEBSITE
The article "'Open access' for the rich only" is only available to
registered users of this site.
For full access to www.thes.co.uk simply complete the registration form
below. You can then access areas of the site reserved for subscribers on a
14 day FREE TRIAL

So I can't read Stevenson's piece (I've already shot my home 14 day trial
before) and I think Harnad's point is adequately made.

I too would like to be able to label myself an archivangelist - love it!

Simon

>Wrong on both counts. (1) I am an archivangelist, not an evangelist for
>"publisher-free" journals (whatever that means!). (2) Toll-access journals
>are only "free at the point of use" to users at institutions that can
>afford to pay the tolls, and that's the point. (Most can't.)
<SNIP!>

Simon Tanner
Director - KCL Digital Consultancy Services
Kings College London
Tel: 020 7848 1678 Mob: 07793 403542
Email: simon.tanner_at_kcl.ac.uk
Web: www.kcl.ac.uk/cch/kdcs/