Re: New channel of support for open-access publishing

From: Gherman, Paul M <paul.gherman_at_VANDERBILT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:20:49 -0600

There is another payoff to the practice of charging for all
submissions, that authors will less likely to breakdown their
articles into multiple smaller publications to add lines to their
resume. However, I would suggest a lower submission fee and a
larger publication fee once the article has been accepted for
publication.

Several years ago, I wrote an article for the SPARC newsletter
suggesting that we also build an organization to serve as an agent
for research universities and publishers. Under this model, the
fees for submission and publication would be pooled with this
agency, and the agency would then bargain with publishers for X
number of articles to be edited and published per year as an agreed
upon price. The fees would be paid up-front so the publisher would
have a secure financial base. Each year, the cost and number of
articles could be renegotiated based on the quality of articles
published and other quality and quantity factors to be established.
This system would give more power to authors and their institutions
whereas the current model still leaves the publishers in a very
strong power position over the author. But it also offers the
publisher a guaranteed revenue stream.

--On Thursday, January 15, 2004 10:04 AM +0000 Fytton Rowland