Live online discussion about open access: Chronicle of Higher Education

From: Lila Guterman <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:54:42 +0000

Join a live, online discussion with Peter Suber, a professor of
philosophy at Earlham College and author of a blog and a newsletter on
the open-access movement, about whether the push to make journal
subscriptions free will revolutionize scientific publishing and save
universities money, on Thursday, January 29, at 1 p.m., U.S. Eastern time.

This live chat accompanies a long article I wrote on the topic, which
appears in the Chronicle of Higher Education this week:

"The Promise and Peril of Open Access"

Two sidebars accompany the main article:

"2 Routes to Open Access: Archives and Institutional Subscriptions"

"Publishers Fear Government Intervention"

I'd welcome feedback as well as questions and comments for the live chat
on Thursday.

Thanks very much,

Lila Guterman
The Chronicle of Higher Education