Re: EPRINTS = PREPRINTS (unrefereed) + POSTPRINTS (refereed)

From: David Prosser <david.prosser_at_BODLEY.OX.AC.UK>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:47:12 -0000

I certainly intended the article to reflect the first of the
interpretations that Stevan gives, i.e., that self-archiving is for
papers at all stages of their evolution from pre-print to post-print.
In the paper, I give a very brief (non-official) definition of self
archiving as:

'...the right of scholars to deposit their refereed journal articles in
searchable and free electronic archives'

I also talk about authors placing 'a peer-reviewed 'post-print' onto
their local institutional repository ensuring that both versions were
archived.' Admittedly, this last comment is in relation to the
interaction with open access journals, but I agree that authors should
be doing that now where they can, even if the paper is published in a
subscription-based journal.

I plead guilty as charged to my tardiness in making my papers available.
The LIBER Quarterly paper (amongst others) is on the SPARC Europe
website at:

http://www.sparceurope.org/resources/index.html

I refer to the free version as a 'pre-print' only because it is the
version that I sent before it was printed - it should not vary from the
final version as there were no changes (to my knowledge).

I am also guilty of not formally archiving my papers in a repository,
only of (eventually) placing them on the SPARC Europe website. If
anybody has a good suggestion as to a suitable repository I will load
them there.

I am not sure if the LIBER Quarterly is a 'green' journal or not, but I
side-stepped the issue by not assigning copyright. I never give away my
copyright or sign a license that will stop me from putting up a version
of the final text.

I hope that this begins to return me to the ranks of a good citizen!

David

David C Prosser PhD
Director
SPARC Europe

E-mail: david.prosser_at_bodley.ox.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0) 1865 284 451
Mobile: +44 (0) 7974 673 888
http://www.sparceurope.org