DOAJ, OAIster and Romeo should chart growth, as EPrints does

From: Stevan Harnad <>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 03:38:16 +0000

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Peter Suber wrote:

> Here's a January 19 posting from Open Access News:
> >Gerhard Beier and Ulla Tschida, Journal Publishers Approaches to
> >Self-Archiving and Open Access : ZIM Briefing Paper,
> ><>, a preprint (without full-text) on the Max
> >Planck Society eDoc Server, last revised October 14, 2003. Abstract:
> >"Analysis of 80 scholarly publishers' copyright agreements - Selected
> >examples from major publishers regarding self-archiving - Selected Reading
> >and selected websites - Appendix A: Analysis of Copyright Transfer
> >Agreements (CTA) and/or Licences of commercial Publishers and Learned
> >Societies-Extracts." (Thanks to Klaus Graf.)
> I thought you'd be interested in the following update:
> >Update. When I first blogged this, only a citation and abstract were
> >posted to the Max Planck eDoc Server. But now the full-text
> ><> is online. (Thanks
> >to Bernd-Christoph Kaemper.)

This note from Peter is very interesting. At the moment, however,
the views from
the Directory of Open Access Journals (DAOJ)
the OAIster Directory of Institutional Archives and the Romeo
and the Directory of Publisher Policies on Author/Institution self-archiving
are all still too static! What we need is a sense of how they are growing
with time.

I strongly urge all three directories to adopt provide the kind
of continuously updated time-series that Tim Brody has provided
for EPrints:
supplementing and updating the older data from:

Without time-based data we will not have a realistic idea of whether and
how fast OA is growing!

Stevan Harnad