Re: Author Publication Charge Debate

From: Subbiah Arunachalam <subbiah_a_at_YAHOO.COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 05:16:16 +0000

Dr Suhail A. Rahman says "I disagree simply because a
prerequisite for self archiving is publication in the
first instance (unless Stevan is implying self
archiving prior to publication)."

One can self archive both preprints and postprints. I
suggest that Suhail visit the arXiv and spend a few
minutes to know about one of the most popular
centralised archives. It was founded at Los Alamos
Laboratory (largely through the efforts of Paul
Ginsparg, who subsequently migrated to Cornell
University and won a McArthur award), and caters to
physicists and mathematicians. Many of my Indian
physicist friends open the arXiv as soon as they enter
the office and see if any preprint of their interest
is posted to the list.

Suhail may also visit CiteSeer as well as read the
papers of Steve Lawrence.

Arun