Re: Invoking Cloture (Again) on "Serials Crisis = Library Underfunding"

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:19:34 +0000

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Sally Morris (ALPSP) wrote:

> The words 'mote' and 'beam' spring to mind...

Dear Sally,

I'm not altogether blind to the homologies! Here's a re-run from 4
years ago:

    Re: Invoking Cloture (Again) on "Serials Crisis = Library Underfunding"
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0922.html

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Charles Oppenheim wrote:

>co> No need to apologise - every time Henderson spills more ink,
>co> he damns himself even more.
>

> It's a bit of a sensitive point, though, and let me not conceal the
> ways:
>

> (1) Like Albert, I too am persistent and repetitious in my
> postings.
>

> (2) Mine too are plastered across multiple lists.
>

> (3) My theme too can be reduced to a one-liner: "Free the give-away
> literature through self-archiving."
>

> (4) My position too, generates hostile reactions. (So does my
> style.)
>

> So I ask myself: With what justification do I invoke cloture on Albert
> and not on myself?
>

> The murmured justification is that I am on the side of the Angels on
> this one.
>

> But who doesn't think he's on the side of the Angels...?
>

> Stevan

P.S. The theme of this Forum is Open Access Provision, not Library
Underfunding. Albert's Library Underfunding theme pre-dates open-access
and is orthogonal to it. Perhaps it should be given a forum of its own.
The fact is that every time his topic is re-opened, people start signing
off this Forum. As Moderator, I get copies of each sign-off message,
so I cannot help noticing the correlation...