Re: ALPSP Survey: Over 60% of Journal Publishers Are Already Green

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 01:25:38 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 george_at_library.caltech.edu wrote:

> *Gold* and *Green*, to borrow Stevan Harnad's terms, representing full
> Open Access journals and author self-archiving friendly journals, are
> but a small fraction of the spectrum which I am currently seeing.

Well, it depends on what you are counting! Only 5% of journals are as
yet Gold (i.e., Open Access Journals) it is true, but 60% are Green
(i.e., endorse author self-archiving) according to the lastest estimate
from ALPSP, topping the prior estimate of 55% by Romeo:

    "ALPSP Survey: Over 60% of Journal Publishers Are Already Green"
     http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3670.html

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/ls/disresearch/romeo/Romeo%20Publisher%20Policies.htm

> The dominant economic model of scholarly publishing is being challenged by
> more than just one or two alternative paradigms. As others have noted, the
> insistence that one size fits all or that a single magic bullet exists is
> counterproductive.

Gold Journals are challenging the dominant model of journal publishing, but Green
Journals are not. They are merely being responsive to their authors' expressed
desire to maximize their article's research impact by self-archiving an open access
version of it for any would-be users whose institutions cannot afford the
journal's toll-access version.

Open Access does not equal Open Access Publishing. Nor does it equal Economic
Model Change (though it might -- or might not -- eventually lead to it).

    "The Green Road to Open Access: A Leveraged Transition"
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3378.html

access to the peer-reviewed research literature online (1998-2004)
is available at the American Scientist Open Access Forum:
        To join the Forum:
        Post discussion to:
        Hypermail Archive:
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html

Unified Dual Open-Access-Provision Policy:
            journal whenever one exists.
            http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/boaifaq.htm#journals
            http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/
    http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php