Re: May 12 CERN meeting on implementing the Berlin Declaration

From: Frederick Friend <ucylfjf_at_ucl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 17:03:17 +0100

The exchanges on this list proceed so quickly that often I feel the
discussion has moved on too far by the time I get around to replying
to any message, but I would like to pick up on Helene's and Stevan's
views of the Berlin "roadmap".

I agree with Helene that it would be good to have some of the BOAI
"enthusiasm" in the roadmap and I also agree with Stevan that we need
"concrete" actions. In fact over the past two years all of us have been
trying to apply the open access enthusiasm in concrete ways, and I am sure
that Robert and Theresa want the roadmap to be seen as both enthusiastic
and concrete.

So far as I am aware, the only version of the roadmap currently available
is the very preliminary version discussed in Geneva, and this version is
to be revised following further discussion. Several of us who were at
the CERN meeting expressed doubts about specific points in the roadmap
as presented, and although I have not seen any reply from Theresa or
Robert to Helene's or Stevan's comments, I expect that they will welcome
the input before a final version is agreed. The final version should
have the backing of both research and library communities and should be
realistic in respect of both roads to open access.

Frederick J. Friend
OSI Open Access Advocate
JISC Consultant
Honorary Director Scholarly Communication UCL
E-mail ucylfjf_at_ucl.ac.uk
Mail address: The Chimes, Cryers Hill Road,
High Wycombe, England HP15 6JS
Telephone +44 1494 563168 or +44 7747 627738 (mobile)