Re: Access-Denial, Impact-Denial and the Developing and Developed World

From: Leslie Chan <chan_at_utsc.utoronto.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 21:52:01 +0100

The following is a letter written in response to a recent paper published in
BMJ on HINARI, the program that is providing subsidized access for
developing countries to high price journals published in the developed
countries. Although of benefit to science in the immediate term, we do not
believe this scheme will benefit science in the developing countries in the
long run. And we call on organizations such as the WHO to think seriously
about the benefits of Open Access and in particular the benefits of Open
Access Archiving:

Open Access Archives for the global distribution of research publications
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/328/7449/1190#60617

Subbiah Arunachalam
Leslie Chan
Barbara Kirsop
Electronic Publishing Trust for Development