Re: How many journals sell authors Open Access by the article?

From: David Goodman <David.Goodman_at_LIU.EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 17:22:23 -0400

Springer's plan is rather complex, and in some respects novel. When I first examined it, I relied on the press accounts, and misunderstood it's unique feature completely--as apparently did Stevan, Les, and Steve. Eventually I located clear statements in their web pages, several of which explained the different aspects:

There are two parts. One is that all authors can post their author's version of the accepted article, as with Elsevier. See http://www.
springeronline.com/sgw/cda/frontpage/0,10735,1-40359-12-115392-0,00.html
(which is the page called "Open Choice for Authors")
It's a good progressive step which needs to be further liberalized, but not an innovation

The other aspect is explained at http://www.
springeronline.com/sgw/cda/frontpage/0,10735,1-40359-12-115391-0,00.html
(which is the page called "Open Choice for Libraries")
In this, authors have the option of paying a publication fee of $3000, in which case their particular article will be open access to all from he publisher's site. Again, a good step, although limited, and although the fee seems rather high, considering it applies both to the former high-priced Springer journals and the former moderately-priced Kluwer titles.

But, in their words, when "...the prices for the next year's subscriptions are calculated. At that time, Springer will calculate the number of articles published under the traditional model in the previous 12 months. If that number is less than the twelve month period before that, then subscription prices will
decrease accordingly." This apparently means that if half their authors pay the author/sponsor fee, the subscription price of the journal next year will be half. (There are many further complexities, which can be found on their pages.)

In other words, as their authors/sponsors switch to a "gold" model, so will the journal.

I believe this to be a novel approach to the problem that "Becoming gold entails some risk" as Stevan says. The explicit link of the subscription prices as well as the access, to the fees, is a model I have not seen before and never considered. It does offer an interesting approach to the problem of transferring funds within the university. Indeed, funding authorities might be more likely to commit the money for author/sponsor fees, as some direct monetary benefit to the institution would result. I

It has all the potential confusion of any mixed model--for any particular article the reader does not know what access will be obtained.
Unfortunately, until a journal is 100% gold, this complexity will be present under any model. Even if only some journals are 100% gold, much complexity will still be present. Some of the benefits of Open Access will not be attained until we reach 100% OA.

On balance, if I were publishing in a good Springer journal I would try to find money to pay the fee, knowing that not only would I receive the benefit of being more widely read, and my readers receive the benefit of having easier access to my article, but the library subscription costs of all universities subscribing to that journal would decrease. If I could not find the money. the reasonably good option of posting the author's version would still be there.

Obviously. all of these changes and complexities would be immensely simplified if all authors provided OA by the fastest available model--posting some version of their article. Then better but slower models can be explored, developed and deployed. .

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman_at_liu.edu

(and, formerly: Princeton University Library)