Re: Mandating OA around the corner?

From: Stevan Harnad <>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:01:34 +0100

[I have now seen the report, and the positive rumour indeed proved correct!]

**Written July 19, posted July 20 2004**

I am at the Barcelona 2004 Forum on the biology of conflict and cooperation
so I have not seen the UK Select Committee Report (embargoed till
tomorrow, July 20, four hours from now).

But if the rumour is false that it will only recommend support for OA

    "Re: UK Select Committee Inquiry into Scientific Publication"

and the rumour is true that it will also recommend mandating
the self-archiving of all UK-funded research, then the outcome could
not have been better -- though it could have come 10 years earlier!

    "June 27 2004: The 1994 "Subversive Proposal" at 10"

Mandated self-archiving for UK-funded research output had
been precisely what our own written testimony (with Tony Hey,
Charles Oppenheim, and numerous other co-signatories) had

And this UK recommendation would perfectly complement the steps NIH is
beginning to take in the same direction in the US:

    "Re: Mandating OA around the corner?"

Now the recommendation needs only implementation:

and then I *guarantee* that all the rest of the OA dominoes
will rapidly fall, worldwide.

Best wishes,

Stevan Harnad

If you have adopted or plan to adopt an institutional policy of providing
Open Access to your own research article output, please describe your
policy at:

            journal whenever one exists.

A complete Hypermail archive of the ongoing discussion of providing
open access to the peer-reviewed research literature online (1998-2004)
is available at:
        To join the Forum:
        Post discussion to: