Please provide publisher/journal self-archiving policies for Romeo Directory

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 13:24:03 +0100

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, David Prosser wrote:

> A small point that does not change the argument, but we do not know that
> 84% of the existing 24,000 journals are green. We only know that 84% of
> the 8242 journals surveyed to date are green. I think that the argument
> is already strong enough without overstating the case.

David is absolutely right. I must always remember to say

    "84% of the journals *surveyed* are green"

(just as we must always remember that it's "84% of *journals*",
not "84% of publishers").

Only a few further points to add:

    (1) We have actually already reached about 11,000 journals (the list
    is being brought up to date)

    (2) That amounts to a sample of nearly 50% of the total number of
    existing journals (although the 24,000 total is just an estimate
    from Ulrich's)

    (3) The sample to date of 11,000 journals (from 97 publishers)
    already contains just about all of the "core" (i.e., the most
    important) journals

If anyone has the data on the self-archiving policies of further
publishers, it would be a great help if you would

    (1) register them at the SHERPA/Romeo Directory site
    http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/romeoupdate.php

*and*, if possible, please also

    (2) send the publisher's full journal list to the romeo.eprints site
    http://romeo.eprints.org/corrections.php

as there is unfortunately no box for the journal list at the SHERPA site
and it is the retrieval of each publisher's journal list that is causing
the delay in keeping the journal list updated!

Stevan Harnad