Re: Eprint versions and removals

From: Barbara Quint <bquint_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 14:59:00 +0100

     [Moderator's Note: Replies follow each question below]

I've been watching this debate and something puzzles me.

Where are all these self-archived articles coming from?

    [Their own authors are self-archiving them.]
    http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/#who-self-archive

Do the "green light" publishers send digital copies back to the authors?

    [Some give the green light for the author to use the publisher;s
     PDF version, others only to use the author's own digital versioni.]
    http://romeo.eprints.org/publishers.html

As an editor, I'm assuming that some of the text has been changed as it
goes through the editorial process.

    [Correct, especially from unrefereed preprint to refereed postprint.]
    http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/#What-is-Eprint

So are the self-archives of the edited "final" versions or of the author's
initial submissions?

    [If the green light is for the refereed, edited final version,
     that is what is self-archived; otherwise the preprint plus
     corrections.]
    http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/#copyright1

Or would there be more than one version, e.g. an author's edition (like
a director's cut video) that includes portions that didn't appear in the
"printed" article as well as the published one?

    [Authors can self-archive all signitificant stages of their work,
    including pospublication corrections, updates and enhancements.
    The essential target of OA, though, is contents of the peer-reviewed
    final draft.]
    http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/#23.Version

barbara quint
editor, searcher magazine