Re: The "Library of Alexandria" Non-Problem

From: Eberhard R. Hilf <hilf_at_physnet.physik.uni-oldenburg.de>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 13:30:58 +0100

1. Clearly, long term archiving of scientific documents calls for
full access over many years to the full and reusable scientific
information for future checking as to whether it is true, as
well as for future usage and further work.

This calls for the full material, for the use of open code formats
such as html, latex, and the use of MathML, CML, PML, .. for the
core information.

2. The publisher's version of word-processing, which produces an image
of the file and reduced material, is meant as easy reading for some
wealthy institute employees -- nothing to do with the long term future.

In addition, commercial publishers do aim at the present time to earn
money and do not care about the future, when they might no longer exist.
Some of the e-versions of my papers with Wiley are gone after
less than ten years, because the Publisher bought the (indirect daugther)
Physikalische Blaetter, but without the e-archive.

Of course these published e-Documents of mine are still in our
Institutional OA archive. Institutional self-archiving, together with
agreements on mirrors, and retrieval, is a safe proposition for long-term
archiving.

See for yourself:

The three documents below are still there -- since 1994!, 1997 and 2000,
yet gone form the publisher's archive. In the self-archived version,
they contain metadata, and the full text (click on the title). Also,
check google and see: the documents have been archived, read, cited at
several places.

    K. Zimmermann, T. Severiens, E. R. Hilf: Ihre Homepage als
    Beitrag zu einem Fach-Informationsnetz Phys. Bl., April 2000,
    p. 3 http://www.physik.uni-oldenburg.de/documents/UOL-THEO3-2000-1/
    although this is in the pdf-file version scanned in in the publisher's
    archive now.

    E. R. Hilf: Elektronische Information fr die Physik; (Grundstze
    eines Informationsmanagements) Phys. Bl. 53 (1997) Nr. 4, p. 311-315
    http://www.physik.uni-oldenburg.de/Docs/THEO3/information/publications/metafiles/9702.html

    E. R. Hilf, L. Weisel: Dringender Diskussionsbedarf - Wie
    soll die elektronische Information und Kommunikation in der
    Physik zukuenftig aussehen? Phys. Bl. 50 (1994) Nr. 1, p. 65
    http://www.physik.uni-oldenburg.de/Docs/THEO3/information/publications/metafiles/physbl.194.html

So Peter Murray-Rust is on the right track.

Eberhard R. Hilf
Dr. Prof.; CEO (Geschaeftsfuehrer)
Institute for Science Networking Oldenburg GmbH
an der Carl von Ossietzky Universitaet
Ammerlaender Heerstr.121; D-26129 Oldenburg
ISN-home: http://www.isn-oldenburg.de/
homepage: http://isn-oldenburg.de/~hilf
email : hilf_at_isn-oldenburg.de
tel : +49-441-798-2884
fax : +49-441-798-5851

PRIOR TOPIC THREAD:

    "The "Library of Alexandria" Non-Problem" (started 1999)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0413.html