Re: Priorities: OA Content Provision vs. OA Content Preservation

From: Brian Simboli <brs4_at_Lehigh.EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 21:50:06 +0100

P.S.
I wish to dispel any illusion that the views discussed below, esp at the
end, reflect some sort of first world arrogance.
In saying that individuals in the first world have it pretty good with
respect to access, given interlibrary loan, I am *not *suggesting that
the third world does not have quite profound needs for access to
knowledge that will advance the common good. (As someone trained in
philosophy, I have views on what constitutes the common good, but that
is for another venue.) My point is simply: let us not be hasty in
assuming that immediacy of access should trump other
considerations--considerations, attention to which will guarantee
/long-term/, stable access, for anyone anywhere.
I've consumed enough bandwith for one day!

Brian Simboli
Science Librarian
Library & Technology Services
E.W. Fairchild Martindale