Re: The Green and Gold Roads to Open Access

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 18:10:47 +0100

The concept of overlay journals predates the OA framework we have now, and
was intended to overlay peer review on subject archives such as arXiv
http://arxiv.org/blurb/sep96news.html (1996)
http://ridge.aps.org/APSMITH/ALPSP/talk1.html (1999)

There have been some notable overlay journals, but not many, and there is
no single model since the more successful journals tended to add
traditional journal features (formatting, presentation, etc.). Nor do they
have to be an overlay on subject archives; these virtual journals could now
be overlaid on distributed institutional archives just as well.

As Stevan notes, originally an overlay journal was seen as an efficient,
low cost way of implementing free online journals. But squeezed between the
green and gold OA models, the role of an overlay journal is currently
questionable. With these models authors can provide OA for their articles
and at the same time take advantage of the full range of journal services.

This may not last, and in time overlay journals might prove an economic
alternative if journals have to downsize to peer review services. But
that's for the future, not for now. At the moment authors are provided for
like never before.

Steve Hitchcock
IAM Group, School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3256 Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865