Re: The Green and Gold Roads to Open Access

From: Heather Morrison <heatherm_at_eln.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 22:37:38 +0100

First, I would like to thank Brian for his comments, and note that I
wholeheartedly agree with almost all of them.

One area where we have a difference of opinion is whether the question
is to pursue the green or the gold road. I agree with Brian that the
best solution for providing access, particularly in the long term, is
the gold road.

However, there are other reasons for simultaneously pursuing the green
road, imho, which are:

The IR approach will provide access to the literature which is
published TA, both current and past. Gold publishing will not free up
access to the previously published literature.

There are other reasons for developing institutional repositories
besides access to peer-reviewed articles, for example a secure home for
faculty powerpoints at conferences, and student papers. The IR could
be used for datasets and other purposes too.

Preservation and archiving under the LOCKSS (lots of copies keep stuff
safe) principle - even the article published in a gold journal, and
copied to a central repostiroy, is more secure if a copy is archived
in the university's IR as well.

The IR provides access to the work of the university's own faculty,
which may presently be denied. For example, of the 4 first articles
submitted to the SFU Library Community D-space, half were published in
journals that SFU Library does not subscribe to. These are not
expensive journals - it's just that no university can afford to
subscribe to all the journals.

The IR in future will provide a collection of the university's work,
which will serve as a different kind of information resource.
Prospective students will be able to easily assess the research
interests of faculty; local journalists will be able to find potential
stories along with local experts they might be able to interview in
person;

The IR as collection of the university's own work will also serve as a
valuable promotional tool for the university per se - both at the
individual institutional level, and at the global level. People -
whether politicians, the public at large, potential donors - will have
a tool that lets them see the valuable contributions that universities
in general, and/or a university in particular, make to the world.

One other small difference of opinion: I agree with Brian that access
is much better in North America than it is in the third world.
However, I believe that there are limitations to access to be addressed
here in the world's wealthiest countries too. ILL is one example.
Typically, a research-based university will provide free ILL to
students and faculty. Education-based universities often either do not
provide free ILL, or place limitations on the number of requests, for
financial reasons. Public libraries in many areas do not subsidize ILL
at all. Open access copies will improve access at all these libraries.
  Even when your library does provide free ILL, the self-archived copy
can mean the difference between immediate access and a delay.

To summarize my position: IMHO, we should vigorously, and
simultaneously, pursue both the green and the gold roads. Restricted
access is problematic everywhere, although most notably so in poorer
countries.

best,

Heather Morrison

Heather G. Morrison