Re: Evolving Publisher Copyright Policies On Self-Archiving

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 17:56:07 +0000

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, David Goodman wrote:

> I challenge Stevan to provide an example where any author has in fact done:
>
> > (3) If journal is (preprint) pale-green, use the so-called Oppenheim-Harnad
> > strategy (preprint + corrigenda) http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/#copyright1

See:

    http://opcit.eprints.org/tdb198/opcit/frequency/

> I futrther challenge him to provide any opinion from an intellectual
> property attorney that this is a legally sustainable way of proceeding.
>
> I am interested in actual examples, not just his or other legally
> unqualified person's personal argument, however plausible.

I do not wish to be uncharitable, but I really don't think this Forum
(or my time) is or should be devoted to meeting David's challenges or
satisfying his interests. This is not a seminar on evolving opinions about
digital property law. The fact is that this "way of proceeding" -- authors
self-archiving their own preprints, corrections, revisions, and postprints
-- has already been going on, unchallenged, for over a decade now, and the
objective here is to accelerate it, so as to generate 100% OA (overdue
by over a decade), not to ponder idly about how this unprecedented
practice may or may not be covered by this or that interpretation of this
or that existing copyright law, in this or that expert's or inexpert's
considered opinion.

Stevan Harnad