Re: Google's Scholarly Search Service and Institutional OA Self-Archiving

From: Charles P. Casey <casey_at_chem.wisc.edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:27:28 +0000

> On Fri 19 November 2004 Leslie Chan wrote:
>
> I imagine it would be relatively simple for Google to add a filter or
> option to display only OA articles in the search results. That would
> really tip the scale.

Excuse me, but how does limiting Google to only OA articles provide
more access??
Is the goal the triumph of OA or getting info to people who want it
--chuck casey

    [MODERATOR'S NOTE: To minimize traffic I will reply pre-emptively
    here: Leslie Chan is sensibly suggesting above that now that
    http://scholar.google.com is already selectively filtering
    (optionally!) for the scholarly content of google-space (so scholarly
    content need not compete with and be buried amidst commercial, erotic,
    or infotainment content), it would be a good idea to further filter
    (optionally!) for OA content within the scholarly content: OA means
    the full-text is accessible online for free. As Leslie Carr already
    noted still earlier, below, finding existing OA content does not
    increase OA content; it just makes it more visible and searchable. But
    demonstrating how much more visible, searchable, accessible and usable
    OA content can be will then serve as a further incentive for its
    author/users to provide more of it (preferably by self-archiving their
    own articles in their own institutional OAI-compliant OA web archives
    -- but by at least self-archiving them on the web in any case). S.H.]

--
Charles P. Casey
Homer B. Adkins Professor