Re: Google's Scholarly Search Service and Institutional OA Self-Archiving

From: <AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-ACCESS-FORUM_at_LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:36:07 +0000

    [Moderator's Note: 4 postings from: (1) S. Mornati, (2) D. Spurrett,
    (3) G. Knight, (4) H. Morrison.]

(1)
From: Susanna Mornati <mornati_at_cilea.it>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:23:45 +0100

At 18:51 20/11/2004, David Goodman wrote:

> I suspect they will have a hard time distinguishing between the sites
> offerring a full article and the ones containing only abstracts.
> They may also have a difficult time distinguishing referreed preprints
> (generally considered OA) from yet-unrefereed manuscripts, and from
> material not intended to be refereed, such as reports.

Some months ago Henk Ellermann wrote about a Dutch study on the extension
of the OAI-PMH:

    OAI and OA-X: Yet Another Introduction,
    http://eepi.ubib.eur.nl/iliit/archives/000471.html

The project was about carrying the full-text and automatic
uploading. I would like to know if they are still working at it.
Similarly, we could think of other extensions of the protocol, fo
rinstance to carry information about the presence of a full-text
paper (without carrying it!), or about any refereed-unrefereed,
published/unpublished tag. An extension of the protocol has already be
proposed for conveying information about rights, cfr. beta specification:
http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/guidelines-rights.htm All this will
be useful to extend services around OA literature - after the goal of 100%
OA has been reached ;-)

At 19:17 21/11/2004, Imre Simon wrote:

>I am just wondering if someone could tell me when a paper resident in
>an OAI-compliant repository will be included in google scholar, with an
>explicit pointer to the paper in the compliant repository?

This is an example of how a paper in an EPrints archive (E-LIS,
http://eprints.rclis.org) looks like in Google Scholar (search by "de robbio"):

[PDF]
<http://scholar.google.com//url?q=http://eprints.rclis.org/archive/00000343/01/VRD.pdf>Online
Resources for Mathematics in the Scientific Virtual Reference Desk A De Robbio -
<http://scholar.google.com//scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=cache:5XBE4kdPOoYJ:eprints.rclis.org/archive/00000343/01/VRD.pdf+%22de+robbio%22>View
as
<http://scholar.google.com//scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=cache:5XBE4kdPOoYJ:eprints.rclis.org/archive/00000343/01/VRD.pdf+%22de+robbio%22>HTML
eprints.rclis.org

As for what is harvested and what is not, we have explicity asked Google to
do so for the repositories we manage. We got the answer that it is going to
be done soon. So it looks that in some cases a positive action is needed to
be included.

Best regards, Susanna Mornati

Project Leader AEPIC
(Academic E-Publishing Infrastructures)
CILEA - ITALY
http://www.aepic.it/

(2)
From: "David Spurrett" <Spurrett_at_ukzn.ac.za>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:05:20 +0200

I would find an OA-only filtered Google Scholar unhelpful for
several reasons, all versions of the following one:

When I search the literature I *first* want to know about what
there is, and *after* that I worry about what I can get hold of.

In any event, trying to get Google to provide 'censored' results
is a side-show issue. If all the research was available by OA,
everything in the search results would be freely available.

Also, since accessibility improves citations, stuff that is OA should
look better on the Google results censored or not. (They start with
the most cited at the top.)

David Spurrett
Philosophy
University of KwaZulu-Natal,
Durban, 4041, South Africa.
T: +27 (31) 260 2309 / 260 2292
F: +27 (31) 260 3031
E: spurrett_at_ukzn.ac.za
W: http://www.nu.ac.za/undphil/spurrett/

(3)
From: "Gareth Knight" <gareth.knight_at_ahds.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:19:58 -0000

Charles P. Casey wrote:

> ...how does limiting Google to only OA articles provide more access?
> Is the goal the triumph of OA or getting info to people who want it

The intent is not to restrict access but to refine your search. It may be
compared to Google's advanced search option
(http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en) that allows you to specify
that search results return a specific file format, language, etc.

Gareth Knight
Digital Preservation Officer
Arts and Humanities Data Service
email: gareth.knight_at_ahds.ac.uk
phone: 0207 848 1979

(4)
From: Heather Morrison <heatherm_at_eln.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:03:16 -0800

May I suggest that a clear label identifying what's OA, as Jan
suggested, would provide the metadata necessarily to filter, as David
suggests?

This strikes me as one simple piece of metadata - a little tag that
says, "this item is open access". It shouldn't be difficult to do this

as a batch process with entire collections, such as institutional
repositories. When publishers make material OA after an embargo
period, as part of the the process they could turn on this little tag.

This could work not only for google scholar, but for many other search
engines as well.

Heather Morrison