Re: Central versus institutional self-archiving

From: Barbara Kirsop <EPT_at_biostrat.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:02:05 +0000

    [Moderator's Note: This welcome initiative from Medlars-India
    provides a back-up central OAI-compliant archive for any biomedical
    researchers worldwide who do not yet have local OAI archives to
    self-archive in at their own institution. Such central back-ups
    mirrors and harvesters will become more numerous in the
    OAI-interoperable OA age -- as will, of course, the primary local
    institutional OAI archives that will be the main "feeders" to
    global OA. Local institutions are the direct primary providers of
    the journal article output itself, as well as the co-beneficiaries,
    with their own researchers, of the enhanced research impact that
    comes from making it OA by self-archiving it. But these central
    back-up archives will be a great help in hastening 100% OA. -- S.H.]

Stevan, FYI. Barbara