Re: Google's Scholarly Search Service and Institutional OA Self-Archiving

From: <AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-ACCESS-FORUM_at_LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:12:24 +0000

    [Two postings: (1) B. Mahon, (2) B. Kirsop]

(1)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:09:19 -0000
From: "Barry Mahon" <barry.mahon_at_iol.ie>

David Spurrett wrote:

> I would find an OA-only filtered Google Scholar unhelpful...
> When I search the literature I *first* want to know about what
> there is, and *after* that I worry about what I can get hold of.
> In any event, trying to get Google to provide 'censored' results
> is a side-show issue. If all the research was available by OA,
> everything in the search results would be freely available.
> Also, since accessibility improves citations, stuff that is OA should
> look better on the Google results censored or not. (They start with
> the most cited at the top.)

This seems a little confused (IMO); the *first* aspect, I think, would
be recognised by everyone. Since, manifestly, all research (output)
is not presently OA then 'censored' (to use David's word, it would not
be my choice) Google Scholar output would not provided information on
all the material available.

Small point - "accessibility" should perhaps be modified to 'accessibility
in sources covered by ISI's citation database.....'

Barry Mahon

(2)