Re: Priorities: OA Content Provision vs. OA Content Preservation

From: Heather Morrison <heatherm_at_eln.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 12:44:33 -0800
('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) Fred & Sally are raising some very important points - like many other
issues, though, what we're doing here is mixing up (conflating) issues which
are not truly open access issues, with open access per se.

For example, if there is only one copy of an article (or a very few, all
under the control of one person or organization), then the censor's work is
easy. If, on the other hand, there are many copies -under the control of
different persons or organizations - a situation which obviously a great
deal easier with open access, obviously - then we will all have much more
secure access.

What this means in practice is that, even with central repositories, it is
important to also pursue institutional repositories. We should also be
copying entire collections (this shouldn't be that difficult - the process
can be entirely automated.

That way, if there were a central collection of Canadian academic articles
(a hypothetical future possibility, of course, even though it is perfectly
in line with our traditional depository system), then we would all have more
secure access if there were copies of the collection. For example, a couple
of years ago, there was an ice storm which affected communications in the
Ottawa region (the most likely host place for a national collection). In
the future, a British Columbia copy of a national collection could not only
ensure ongoing access for British Columbians - it would also likely provide
good service to folks in Ottawa as well.

To get back to censorship - if there is only one copy of an article, at a
publisher's website, or if all copies are under the control of the
publisher, there is more reason to be concerned about censorship than with
the NIH proposal That is to say, with NIH, there is likely to be, at
minimum, two places to find the article - PubMedCentral, and the publishers'
web site. It makes sense that the author would also post to an IR. Each of
these copies is likely to come under different jurisdictions - much more of
a challenge for the censor than the publisher-contols-all-copies scenario.

hope this helps,

Heather Morrison

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 14:55:40 -0500
AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-ACCESS-FORUM_at_LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG wrote:
> I don't think we are looking at any sort of conspiracies or
> doomsday scenarios. What Sally suggests is just one of the
> consequences that are certain in at least some small measure if
> the variety of sources of support for science publication are
> reduced. Each contributor to the system now has some say in how
> it will operate. That fact is not going to go away. If readers
> have no say it will be a different forum.
>
> Fred Spilhaus Executive Director, AGU
> 2000 Florida Avenue NW Washington DC 20009 USA
>

> Stevan Harnad wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Sally Morris (ALPSP) wrote:
> >

> >>I am sure members of this list are all aware of the US Government's
> >>all too recent attempts (a) to censor what type of articles
> >>publishers can publish and (b) to censor the countries from where
> >>authors' work may be edited
> >

> > Don't you think, Sally, that governments that are bent on censorship
> > would want to go to the source -- suppressing *publication* (as above)
> > -- rather than just coyly leaving the user's (institution's) ability to
> > pay the access tolls as the determinant of who can *access* what? (For
in
> > that case, it is publishers themselves that are at risk under this
> sinister
> > speculative scenario, not OA!)
> >
> > And (to lay to rest the conspiracy-theoretic temptation to see OA
> > as yet another dark instance of "government control"): Do you also
> > imagine a collective conspiracy on the part of institutions to suppress
> > access to their *own* research output, when that output is distributed
> > across institutional OAI archives (instead of being placed just in the
> > arbitrary central/governmental archives being contemplated here)? (For
> > then it is the author's freedom to publish that is under speculative
> > assault, not OA.)
> >
> > Is this threat-level (code yellow?), then, as high as the threat that
> > universities will want to remove the journal *print* editions from their

> > shelves -- and particularly the articles by their own researchers? (For
> > then it is the freedom to do research at all that is under fancied
> > assault, not OA.)
> >
> > Or are we to imagine the countries of the world co-conspiring to
> > suppress the Internet itself? (For then too, OA would hardly be the most

> > consequential casualty.)
> >
> > No, Sally, this is special pleading; it cannot be called by any other
> > name: There is a status quo; I want to find all possible arguments to
> > preserve it exactly as it is. I worry about an eventuality that may pose

> > a risk (OA). I cannot attack it intrinsically or directly (because,
> > being a scientific journal publisher, I am committed to
access-provision,
> > not to access-suppression), so I instead generate hypothetical doomsday
> > scenarios -- as many as possible, preferably, for in case this one is
> > not seen to be convincing, maybe that one will be. Just as long as it
> > serves to hold OA at bay.
> >
> > That was the transparent (and rather disreputable) strategy of the APS's

> > team of legal sages recently; and their breathless panorama of phony
> > forensics will now stand as a permanent historical record of that
> > pathetic ploy.
> >
> > "Critique of APS Critique of NIH Proposal"
> > http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4197.html
> >
> > I am not saying, Sally, that you too are practising this conscious
> > and systematic policy of dreaming up any far-fetched counterfactual
> > speculation, just so it makes OA look menacing, and might thereby retard

> > its progress: I think you truly believe the journal publishing status
quo
> > to be at risk from OA (and possibly, eventually, you might be right).
But
> > then stick to the specific, plausible terms of that risk (OA publishing
> > might not be able to make ends meet, OA self-archiving might drive us
> > toward OA publishing) and not desperate and implausible ones that merely

> > serve to up the ante of apparent risk and fear!
> >
> > Besides, the worst offenders in OA risk-mongering are neither lawyers
nor
> > publishers but the intended beneficiaries of OA: the researchers
> themselves.
> > No one could have come up with a greater number of spurious reasons
> > for worrying (and accordingly being sluggish) about OA than they. Their
> > current record stands at 32, and it ain't over yet!
> >
> > "I-worry-about..." 32 prima facie concerns"
> > http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/#32-worries
> >
> > Let me close with an abstract point I have made before, on the subject
> > of selective, self-serving doomsday scenarios, from the standpoint of
> > Pascal's Wager. (Those weary of reasoning, or reading, may wish to tune
> > out here.)
> >
> > "There is something in [pre-emptive doomsday speculations] that
> > sounds like the logic of Pascal's Wager: It is better to act in
> > conformity with Belief, even if it is false, because the cost of
> > being wrong if the Belief is true (burning forever in hell)
outweighs

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmsctech/399/399we152.htm
> > http://citebase.eprints.org/isi_study/
> > http://www.crsc.uqam.ca/lab/chawki/ch.htm