Re: Evolving Publisher Copyright Policies On Self-Archiving

From: David Goodman <David.Goodman_at_liu.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:56:14 +0000

Charles Oppenheim wrote:

> In my view the "solution" is legal. I do not, however, *advocate it*
> for precisely the reasons that Sally states. There are lots of things
> that are not in my view illegal that I do not advocate.

In what I believe is the spirit of Charles' message, I suggest that this
method is one of a number of suggestions made during the earlier years
of OA advocacy that are no longer necessary. I think we would generally
agree that this method is not a particularly good one, for many reasons as
well as its undetermined legality, and I think we would generally agree
that a scholar in any subject now has access to superior methods. We
have made progress, and perhaps the now-obsolete material can be removed
from current statements of the OA position. It will remain well archived,
for those who wish to study the development of OA. Some disagreements
continue to need resolution, but some eventually become unnecessary.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman_at_liu.edu